How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Finished

The weather was so nice earlier this week that I really wouldn't have minded some more harvest.  But we are finished.

(Children’s) Harvest Song
O'er our fields the frost has descended,
Labor is done, gone is the sun;
Safely stored, the harvest is ended;
All in a ring, dancing we sing.

She who leads is innocent Pleasure,
Ending the year, gladly with cheer;
Joy and comfort, barns full of treasure,
Everywhere health, Autumn's ripe wealth.

(french folk tune)

We didn't exactly dance in a ring, but we were thankful to be done.

When we started combining the last land in the last corn field, two coyotes came loping into the corn.  They were looking for the pheasants and rabbits that they knew would be left without cover.  The combine played hide and seek with them for the next few rounds.  But on the last round, they bailed and took off across the field away from us.  The 3 pheasants and 2 rabbits that I saw didn't flush until the very end and were thus safe from the coyotes.

Thursday it rained most of the day, so in the evening I finally got to go to the new Bass Pro Shops store in East Peoria.  And I ended up spending more money than I had intended.  I need to go back and spend some more time there because I know that I didn't get to see it all.  Even the old farmer's wife enjoyed the visit.  She said she felt like she was on vacation, because we like to stop at places like this when on vacation.

I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
John 17:4
                                   

1 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed catching up (instead of cleaning for you to come:) and cooking. What do you like to eat? Might as well make what you like so let me know sooon or you will lose out.
Where is Panola farm?
Love, your sis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home