How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Grand anticipation

The corn is not drying down very fast, so we have just been opening up fields and taking off the endrows.  We did put some corn in our bins that was 25% moisture and we are waiting for the dryers to catch up.  Our first day in the field, we had a flat tire on the combine from some fence wire that made its way into the field.  The good folks at Midwest Repair had us fixed quickly the next morning.  Wednesday night/Thursday morning the temperature dropped to 38 degrees.  I did see a small patch of frost on the boat tarp in the morning, but nowhere else.  Hopefully harvest will speed up this coming week.

I finished reading Brideshead Revisited this week.  I didn't know what to expect from it and it didn't follow any formula, but I can see why it is considered Evelyn Waugh's magnum opus.  I had a little difficulty following the British "English", and the names, places, and references, but I really enjoyed it.  There is a lot of underlying theology and I believe one of its messages is that reconciliation and grace win in the end.

This week is the Grand Opening for the new East Peoria Bass Pro Shops (and there was much rejoicing).  A long anticipated event by all the sportsman in the area.  I usually prefer Cabela's merchandise, but Bass Pro is "The great American Outdoor Store", and I look forward to my first visit.

 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 2:7

1 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Much rejoicing in this household too! Definately check out the FLY SHOOTER ... the original bug gun. We were gifted this and it has proved many hours of family entertainment. Happy shopping! and safe harvesting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home