How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, July 25, 2011

Hot Vacation

It was a sweltering week at Kentucky Lake!  But it was that way pretty much everywhere.  It was the 25th annual Wyss Family Vacation, and everyone except one nephew and his family made it for at least part of the week.  It is really amazing that we have been able to orchestrate this event for 25 consecutive years.  A special thanks goes to my parents for making it all possible, and to the rest of the family for their commitment.  Daughter #2 put together a power point with pictures from each year.  We had special T-shirts to commemorate the occasion, and as usual there was lots of food, fun, and fellowship. 
I took my kayak this year and enjoyed exploring the lake early in the morning before it got too hot.  I saw lots of turtles, herons, an otter, deer, and a couple families of ducks.  One morning I fished from the kayak and caught 2 striped bass.  It's not easy fishing from a kayak, but it was fun. 
I slept late a lot, and napped a lot.  Because of the heat I spent a lot of time in the air conditioned cabin reading Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy.

We enjoyed a blessed weekend in Gridley attending our niece's baptism (along with 4 other youth).

We were blessed with an inch of rain yesterday, which was sorely needed to help the crops survive the continuing heat.

O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.
Psalm 71:17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home