How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Double Duty

My brother/partner is on vacation this week, as is our neighbor.  Therefore with students back in school, I am doing double duty chores this week.  It was going fairly well until last night.  At the neighbors I walked into a nursery room to find that some starlings had found their way in.  They panicked when I came in and one of them tried to exit through the large wall fan which was running because of the hot afternoon.  As they say, it won't have the guts to try that again.  The problem is, he broke the fan blade which caused an unbalanced, unstable fan which had to be shut down.  That's not good on a 93 degree afternoon.  After searching for spare parts, I made an emergency cell phone call to my neighbor somewhere in the mountains of Colorado, and he was able to tell me where he had spare fan blades.  I was able to get it repaired quickly (which is amazing for hog house maintenance) and got the fan running again.
This morning I found a dead sow in a farrowing crate.  The heat yesterday afternoon was too much for it.  With no one around to help, I decided to try pulling it out myself.  Fortunately it was still pliable enough for me to horse around, and with the help of a winch I got it out of the crate, down the hall and outside.

Tuesday night we went to Borders going-out-of-business sale.  You shouldn't let me do that!  We saved $98, but I won't tell you how much we spent.  Books are definitely a weakness.  I bought mostly classic literature.

We lost a dear cousin/friend/sister in the Lord this week after an 8 month battle with brain cancer.  We really wanted to attend the visitation and funeral, but because of the chore duties we will not be able to.  My heart will be in a familiar church in Lester, Iowa tomorrow morning.  Our prayers go out on behalf of her husband and the whole family.  Very thankful for the faith, hope, and comfort that we can have in Christ.

Now therefore fear ye not: I will nourish you, and your little ones. And he comforted them, and spake kindly unto them.
Genesis 50:21
 

2 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

ew. dad really? :) this blog is not for the weak stomached :)

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

At least he didn't describe in great detail what happens to deceased sows in hot weather...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home