How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Unintended Travel

All in all we had a productive week harvesting.  A short rain delay and a breakdown with the platform did slow us down this past week.  I now know where the John Deere dealer in New Holland, IL is.  I had to run there for a part that our local dealer didn't have in stock.  The previous breakdown, the serviceman brought parts from Minier, my wife ran for a part in Roanoke, and I drove to Lacon for another part!  We've been getting around a lot more than we expected lately.  As of Saturday night everything was operating normally.

We had some pretty chilly nights in the old farmhouse the last couple of weeks, so Tuesday night I started the furnace for the first time.  Its a big, old, inefficient furnace that was installed in the '60s after the coal furnace and stoker were removed.  But it still heats the house to our satisfaction, and only needs an occasional thermocouple and the filters changed regularly.   It always smells of burnt dust for the first few hours after start up.

I haven't seen my grandchild all week.

I don't listen to the radio all that much anymore, except when I spend a lot of time in a cab in the spring or fall.  This week I heard a new commercial that disappointed me but didn't surprise me.  It announced that Sunday is for football and tailgating.  No mention of church or worship or rest.  And of course, you need Bud Light while watching football.
Sports have become America's religion.

 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
Daniel 3:17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home