How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Ranch Romance

I don't know if I should admit to this, but I just finished reading Black Heels to Tractor Wheels (A Love Story) by The Pioneer Woman.  I don't normally read romance novels, but since my wife has followed her blog for a long time,  and since I bought her the book for her birthday, and since it is a true story, and the story involves a real cowboy and cows and pickup trucks, and the fact that it's too wet to plant corn, and . . . well in a moment of boredom I picked up the book and started reading it.  Ree, a country club, vegetarian, city girl, meets and falls in love with an Oklahoma cowboy, starts eating steak, marries him, and moves to his ranch in the middle of nowhere.  Always having been a boy crazy girl, she's a little over the top at times, but it is a funny book and a nice love story.  She has an expressive way of sharing some of the predicaments she encounters.

There are some sad stories as well that she shares.  Which reminds me - we went to a visitation tonight of a friend who passed away at the age of 53, leaving his wife and three teenage children.  Brad was my second cousin, and also a veterinarian.  We have been friends since our youth, and further developed a relationship over the years meeting at pork trade shows, meetings, and seminars.  We also spent time together when they lived in KC and we went to visit my sister's family.  Our prayers continue to go out to his family.

Ree also shares the ups and downs of her first pregnancy.  Which reminds me - I'm going to be a grandpa!  I guess I'm old enough, because I have friends my age who have been grandparents for 15 and more years already.  And I do have a few gray hairs, so hopefully I will be able to fulfill my role adequately.  I can't wait to feed the little munchkin ice cream and black olives :)

And speaking of romance, congratulations Ellie and Troy!

And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.
Genesis 24:67

2 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

um... you don't normally read romance novels? What about Jane Austen? Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? Et Al.?

And you've officially entered the ranks of the elderly, no need to thank me.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Old Farmer said...

Those are classics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home