How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ordinary

I ran across this quote the other night in a book that I was reading:

"The most extraordinary thing in the world is an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children."
G. K. Chesterton

The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. I don't know exactly what he had in mind when he penned this quote, but I feel that I am an ordinary man that God has blessed with an extraordinary family. It's humbling and I am grateful.

A few more Chesterton quotes:

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."
"Customs are generally unselfish. Habits are nearly always selfish."
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God."
"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried."

The old farmer asked his wife to help him load hogs today. There was no one else around to help this week. This may have been the first time in our marriage that she had to help with this job. We got the hogs loaded and shipped, and I appreciated her help.
There will be no further comments on her participation.

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Matthew 7:6

3 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

hahaha... that I would have liked to have seen! :D

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picture I Love Lucy in a hog pen...very thankful he didn't have a camera.
Mom

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) sure it was delightful!
You have an extraordinary family (and wife too) I think you are extraordinary too!
Love,
someone who knows

 

Post a Comment

<< Home