How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Winter

After 4-6 inches of fresh snow blanketed the farm last weekend, the temperature has plunged into the single digits. This year we were somewhat prepared for it. I say somewhat, because after the cold settles in we always find something we wish we would have gotten done earlier. Darkness comes early now, so our outside work becomes more of a challenge.
Already my lips are getting chapped, my face is wind burnt, my fingertips are cracking, and the skin on my heels is splitting open. These little problems can be as painful as some big injuries.

Winter is settling in.

We started noticing our water pulsating last weekend. We had volume and pressure, but pulsating flow. A great time of year to have well problems. Monday morning I checked our pressure tank and found that it was full of water. The rubber bladder in it is leaking, and water replaced the air behind it. The well repairman is supposed to be bringing us a new one soon and hopefully it will be an easy fix. Working with water in the winter is not a fun job.

The old farmer's wife went and picked out a Christmas tree the other day (because I'm too lazy to help), and she picked a straight one! Usually it gets home and won't stand up until major surgery has been performed. Sometimes we still have to keep rotating it to find the right side to display that is full and looks straight. But this year it is a good one with no modifications needed. I've been out shopping once already and am assembling the lists that are my responsibility and getting ready for the all out assault.
And I'm already starting to enjoy the cookies and candy that accompanies Christmas.

And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.
Mark 13:18

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home