How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Nursing Home

Saturday night I helped at the Eureka Home Benefit Dinner. First I sprinkled slivered almonds on about 240 salads and then I worked the assembly line that filled and delivered 240 plates of food in about 15 minutes. My job was to place the dinner roll and the pat of butter on the far side of the plate away from the hot food.

I remember the first time I went to a Nursing Home with the Young Group to sing for the residents. I had just started my repentance and conversion (age 22), and it was very foreign to me. Satan kept telling me, "What in the world are you doing here on a Friday night. You should be out having fun."
But I quickly came to appreciate visiting with and singing for the elderly in the homes. We did regular rotation at 3 different nursing homes. By the time I left the young Group to get married, it had become one of my favorite and most uplifting activities. Even in their diminished capacities, many of the elderly residents still have a lot to offer. And they were always very appreciative of our visits.

I later had the privilege of serving 11 years on the board of directors for our local church nursing home. It gave me a whole new perspective on the care and needs of the elderly. And insight into some of the ridiculous laws and the delinquency of the State of Illinois.

May God Bless all those who feel it their calling to serve the elderly by working or volunteering at Nursing Homes.


Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth.
Psalm 71:9

1 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you just 22 years old when you repented? It seemed like we waited and prayed a lot longer than that! :)
The singles down here organize singing once a month after church in an Alzheimer facility. I get to recognize some of them and miss them when they are not there or change. It is amazing how they sing along and know the verses of the old traditional hymns even when they know little else! They clap and enjoy us so much! It is always so nice when we can go.
Love,
your sis K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home