How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Carhartt

I finally finished cleaning out my basement workbench/shop.  I probably didn't get rid of as much stuff as I should have, but I did move everything around, cleaned, and it's more organized.  I would actually be able to work on the workbench now.  I wonder how long it will stay this way? 

Sunday after church, we shot guns since it was a nice afternoon.  A lot of targets were destroyed in the process.  I taught daughter #2 how to shoot my "euthanasia policy".  As a Certified Livestock Manager in the State of Illinois, we are required to have a euthanasia policy in place to humanely dispatch downer and terminally ill or injured animals.  Currently, mine is a Ruger Single Six.  It was the first time she shot a gun other than the BB gun I bought her when she was younger.  Son #1 also harvested a squirrel before we put the guns away.  He got another one this evening.  We may have to try squirrel stew!

I have decided it is time to retire my old Carhartt coat.  It is looking really scruffy, the pockets don't have bottoms any more, insulation is peeking through tears, and the red livestock marking spray on it makes it look like I've been gut shot.  It put in many faithful years of service for me, but the abuse that it has taken from weather, machinery, hog buildings and equipment, and it's owner have taken a toll.  It has been replaced by a much younger version.   


And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
Zechariah 3:4

2 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Katie LeAnne said...

That coat looks like the coats farmers often bring Mike's mom to fix up even though they should just get a new one. Sometimes they even wash them before they bring them to her. :)

-Katie Rasmussen

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

When do I get to learn to shoot your euthanasia policy?

You get a new coat... but not a new wallet... you're weird. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home