How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Knots

We are enjoying the warm weather, but any longtime reader knows that I hate mud. This time of year on a livestock farm can be a muddy mess, which our farmyard is quickly becoming. The hog lots are soupy and it is hard to keep any thing clean. It is also a very ugly time of year. The landscaping is trashy, the lawn is filled with clumps of leaves, fallen branches, and debris left by the receding glaciers. Everything is drab and grungy. I think that I would like the winter/spring transition to take about 24 hours.

I spent the evening knotting comforters at church as part of my wife's World Relief comforter marathon. We finished 27 by the end of the evening. They will be headed to Zambia.

I attended a 2 day MS Excel seminar this week trying to refresh my memory and sharpen my skills. I like using Excel, but I don't use it often enough to remember all the tricks and features. It's an amazing program, I just don't take time to utilize it like I could.

Tuesday, I attended the Illinois Pork Expo at the Civic Center. It was cancelled and then rescheduled because of the blizzard 2 weeks ago. It continues to shrink as the industry consolidates. At one booth a vendor asked what type of operation we had, and I told him we had a small farrow to finish operation. In a world of 2400 sow farrowing units, he asked, "what's small, 500 sows?" "No I said, 150 sows." To which he replied, "you must either be doing something right or you are crazy!" To which I responded, "I think it is a little of both."

Actually, maybe a little more to the crazy side of the equation.

But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
2 Peter 2:22

3 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

receding glaciers... haha...

yes, well, you made it through by the skin of your teeth and the dogs are no longer sticking to the sidewalks. :)

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like the mud either! But at least we have some grass :)

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ps I still have to go to Jenny's and then to Michelle:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home