How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Project

I was in the Walmart parking lot yesterday morning and my wife called and asked if I was on my way home.  It seems a pen of sows had rooted their gate off its hinges and sows were wandering around the farmyard.  I hustled home to find her rounding up sows with broom in hand.  I dumped a bucket of corn in the gate opening and lot, and we got them all chased back in fairly easily.  Just in time for lunch.  My wife is handy to have around :)

I am finally getting to some of my winter projects - just in time for spring!  We are cleaning out the basement storage rooms and now I am working on my workbench/shop area.  It is a slow painstaking process.  It's amazing what you find when you dig through all of the clutter.  I'm trying to do a lot of pitching as I organize, sort and clean.  Sometimes it's hard to get rid of "treasures" and stuff that is still good, but probably will never be used again.  I found my old chemistry set, my microscope, lots of hunting and fishing gear, forgotten hardware and tools, model rocket supplies, rock collection, matchbook collection, trade show paraphernalia, and best of all, the top of my workbench!  There was also lots of broken things set on my workbench by others for me to fix.  Most of that got pitched.
I had to think as we approach  communion, that we need to regularly do the same with our heart.  Clean out the dirt, pitch the unnecessary, and organize/prioritise what we keep.

We traded tractors a couple of weeks ago.  We got rid of a 1980 model and replaced it with a 1995 model.  The "new" CaseIH 7240 has MFWD which we didn't have on our old tractor.  That's the biggest reason for the upgrade.  The primary responsibilities for this tractor are hauling liquid manure, pulling the grain cart in the fall, drilling wheat, and some light tillage.


'96 Case-IH 7240 Magnum t


Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
Matthew 12:44


3 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice tractor. Still a green man.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Old Farmer said...

When you can't afford green, red works.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

You actually threw things away!? Will wonders never cease!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home