How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, May 27, 2006

It smells around here

As V. P. of Waste Disposal at our farm, I spent the morning relocating many loads of hog manure. Or shall I say that I was applying organic fertilizer to our fields(to bring forth greater yields!).

And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. (Luke 13:8,9)


My employees (sons) also spent the day hauling "honey". We're trying to get the pits empty before the last field is planted.
Some people complain about modern livestock operations and the manure created by them. Consider the following environmental info.


Question: In the U.S., these systems handle 31 billion gallons of waste each day. In addition, they discharge 3.2 billion pounds of nitrogen directly into surface water each year. What waste system does this describe?

a. Human waste treatment systems
b. Pork waste treatment systems


If you answered “a”, you’re correct. It’s true – human waste treatment facilities are legally allowed to discharge millions of pounds of waste into surface water each year, while pork producers are held to a ZERO waste discharge standard. Pork producers have much more stringent regulations than human waste treatment facilities when it comes to discharging waste into lakes, streams and rivers.

I've cleaned sewage lines and septic tanks. I'd rather work with hog manure any day than human waste! I've changed my share of diapers also. Why is it that I can get manure on my hands, wipe them off on my pants or shirt, then eat a sandwich - - but, if I get baby poop on my hands, I freak out until I can get them scrubbed? Somehow its just different!

After this pleasant topic, have a nice weekend!

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Ick. But you've never had to actually go in the septic tank! Poor Jakey...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home