How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Bibliophile

I love books.
I love to read.
One of my dreams was always to live in a house that had a big library in it. I don't know if that will ever happen, but I do know that our farmhouse has books in every room and not enough bookshelves to hold them all. We all like books here on the farm and we just seem to keep adding to our collection. Not collectable books, just books we like to read.

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house. ~Henry Ward Beecher

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann

My favorite book is the Holy Bible KJV. I hope and pray that I never get tired of reading it. I don't think we can because it is a living word and it is ever new. My favorite authors are the inspired men of God who penned the books of the Bible.

All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (II Timothy 3:16)

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost. (II Peter 1:21)

I have studied with other versions, but I still prefer the King James Version. I like the language, reverence, and the dignity. It is still the standard by which other versions are measured. When I was in Jr. High School(and High School) we read and studied Shakespeare. I figure that if Jr. High kids can read and study Shakespearean English, then I(as a college graduate) ought to be able to read and study in King James' English. I also like the fact that the KJV is public domain. There are no royalties being paid from the sale of God's Word. No ulterior motives to sell a version that makes a certain publisher more profits.

My favorite books of the Old Testament would probably be:
Proverbs - short sayings for teaching youth.
There was and is no one(human) as wise as Soloman was. Wisdom is still very useful today.
Psalms - reading the Psalms is a great way to praise God and prepare your heart for
worship.
My favorite New Testament chapters would probably be:
John 1 - this is foundational
Philippians 4 - beautiful exhortations

I will share favorite authors and books some time in the future.

The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. ~James Bryce

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home