How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Rode hard, put away wet

I was going to make one more round and then stop to refill the boxes. I was heading north. It was getting darker in the southwest. When I turned around at the end of the field 1/4 mile from the road the front hit me. I was immediately engulfed in a huge cloud of dust. It was Dust Bowl 30's. I throttled up and headed south. Visibility was the front of the tractor. Flying blind.

When I got to the end, the deluge hit. Torrential horizontal sheets of rain. Pretty sure it was a surfer dude I waved to going by. I sat in the cab with zero visibility, not wanting to venture out to fold the planter so I could go home. Not sure I wasn't in the middle of a tornado. After about fifteen minutes ( and watching all the neighbors tractors trudging by on their way home), the rain became just a vertical downpour. I hopped out, flipped the lever, pulled the pin, and soaking, jumped back in the cab and folded the planter. And we headed back to the stable.

I will say that we have a pretty clean tractor and planter right now. Unfortunately, it spends far to much of its time lately in the shed.

2 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Yeah, that was some storm eh?

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

haha...you said torrential!

I'm glad I was in the house. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home