How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Honey

I have been attending more farm meetings lately.  At the Beck's annual winter customer meeting, I ran into one of my old college roommates.  He just started working for Beck's.  It was good to see him and catch up with his life a little bit.  I met Ken in Ag classes at ICC in 1974, we lived together for a year at U. of I., and developed a life long friendship.

Since I love honey, I attended a beginning beekeeping class a couple weeks ago.  I would love to get a couple of hives going, but I found out there is a lot more involved with beekeeping than I realized.  With the diseases and parasites prevalent right now, it takes a lot of time and work inspecting and working with the bees and hives.
Maybe when I retire.

Last Saturday night we ate out with Quinn and Joan for supper.  It is always a good time to get together with them.  They picked up the directors platform (that Jake built) from church for the next Men's Sing which Fairbury hosts.

Sunday, I drove Lin, Marshall, and Jan down to Centralia Correctional Center to visit Phil.  It was a nice day to travel and we had good visits in the van and a nice visit with Phil.  It is a 365 mile round trip, so it was a full day.  It was about 10 degrees warmer down in Southern Illinois than at home.

I started the process this week to update our wills.  When we were first married, the old farmer's wife worked part time for the Stoller Law firm.  She typed up our wills.  They might have a statement " . . . should we have any children . . . "!   And they might still have my 91 year old father as executor!  So yes, it is past time for an update since we no longer even have any minor children.

My son, eat thou honey, because it is good; and the honeycomb, which is sweet to thy taste:
Proverbs 24:13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home