How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Friday, December 11, 2015

Happenings

One morning early last week, Gus started barking during my breakfast.  When I came out for chores I saw that he had another raccoon treed and was waiting for me.  I'm not sure where they keep coming from, but I assume they come looking for dog food, cat food, or cats!

We spent one day last week at the Peoria Farm Show.  Farmers didn't seem to be in money spending moods with the low grain prices.  Farm Credit treated us to a free lunch at Jim's Steak House.  I think they are profiting from our business.

Late Wednesday night last week, Son #1 and favorite D-I-L gave us a new grand-baby!  Our first grandson to carry on the name.  Everyone seems to be doing very well.  And he's cute and cuddly!

Last weekend was second deer season.  I went out a couple of times and didn't see much.  I missed a shot at a deer just at dusk that I spooked getting out of my stand.  The freezer won't be full this year.  The deer population is definitely down in our area the last couple of years because of Blue Tongue disease.  Blue Tongue is a insect borne viral disease that affects ruminant animals, including deer.  Hopefully the local herds will rebound quickly.

Friday night our potluck group ate out at the new Blacksmith Steakhouse in Washington.  They had a bison fillet on the menu that I just had to try.  It was very expensive, but I still expected it to be tougher than beef.  It was excellent; very tender and juicy.  I will order it again, if I can afford to.

Image result for bison filet

I started my Christmas shopping and have made good progress.  I have been out at least three times and have shown amazing restraint in not buying much for myself!  I had to take my copier to an authorized repair center up in the Chicago suburbs this week, so I even got in some big city shopping.  Now the stores I hit were centered around Cabela's, LL Bean, and REI, so my wife wasn't too jealous.

Tuesday night was date night.  We drove to C-U and took nephew Ned out to supper at Za's before attending the U of I Symphony Orchestra concert at Krannert.  After the performance we met him at DQ for a nightcap.  I keep getting more cultured all the time!

But he said unto me, Behold, thou shalt conceive, and bear a sonand now drink no wine nor strong drink, neither eat any unclean thing: for the child shall be Nazarite to God from the womb to the day of his death.
Judges 13:7


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home