How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Riders

We finished harvest last Thursday evening.  The last field had the best yield and had the driest corn.  Overall, our corn yields were below average and our soybean yields were a little above average.  There was just too much rain in June for the corn.  Since the second half of the growing season was dryer, that seemed to favor the soybeans.  We only had one day all fall that we didn't harvest because of rain!  We couldn't have asked for better harvest weather.

I've been catching up on book-work, taking inventory, and preparing fiscal year-end information.  Also, since I think we may have a small corn insurance claim, I've been working with our crop adjuster in determining our loss.  Tillage work has started, but we have had minor tractor issues that have slowed us down.  I spent an afternoon blowing off the combine and doing some minor repair work before we bury it in the shed for winter.  I have also been doing some building maintenance.

If I counted correctly, we gave combine (and tractor and truck) rides to at least 29 people outside of working family members this fall!  We had every thing from an Indian family who works with Son #2 at Cat, church friends with kids, to inner city home schooled kids, to mothers with babies, to my daughters and granddaughters.  At times, we had 3 riders in the cab with me at one time.  Some days were quite interesting!


Now therefore, I pray thee, give pledges to my lord the king of Assyria, and I will deliver thee two thousand horses, if thou be able on thy part to set riders upon them.
II Kings 18:23

1 Comments:

At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got a chance to catch up on blogs since August! Enjoyed. k

 

Post a Comment

<< Home