How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Christmas '15

Monday was the big family Christmas party with my folks and siblings.  It started with brunch at 10:00, then program, singing carols, gifts, continuous lunch, games, naps, discussions, supper, more visiting, and finally when everyone is tired we head home.  My parents' whole family made it except one granddaughter-in-law and two great grandchildren.  That was because little Andrew can't travel yet; especially during flu season.




Christmas eve afternoon, we plugged the leg while coring a bin.  After getting the leg cleaned out and running again, the cable that helps change the distributor spouting snapped.  I was working about 70 feet in the air off the ladder trying to splice in a new section of cable and it starts sprinkling.  Fortunately, the temperature is mild for this time of year, and we were able to get it spliced and operating again before the early darkness set in.

Whenever there are no big plans on Christmas eve, our tradition is to invite my folks and aunt Pearl over for homemade oyster stew.  Not my favorite, but there is never a lack of alternative food.  It was a nice laid back evening.  My new grandson made his first appearance on the farm also.

Following church on Christmas morning, we were blessed to have all of our children and grandchildren over for the rest of the day.  Much feasting took place, including our traditional meal of cornish hens.  As more people get added to the family, the gift pile grows.  It is a joy to watch everyone open their gifts - especially some of the more unique ones!  I think the number of books given this year was down slightly from the last couple of years.





I finally went out and got my flu shot two days before Christmas.  On Christmas day, I started getting a scratchy throat.  Now I seem to have a cold, unless it is a reaction to the flu shot.  Hopefully it won't bother me too much or last very long.  We have two more Christmas gatherings this coming week to attend.

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
Luke 2:11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home