How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Fresh Venison

I hunted three of the four days of the second firearms deer season last weekend.  I didn't see anything in range.  It was decent weather, so I enjoyed my time in the woods.

Caution: Graphic Description!

Tonight on our way home from doing some Christmas shopping in Peoria, we got up close and personal with a deer.  We were on Route 24 on the North edge of Washington and two cars ahead of us hit a deer.  The first car probably killed it and the second car softened it up pretty good because he went over the top of it.  I saw  a spray and a carcass spinning into my lane.  I didn't have time to brake and hit it dead center.  It thumped and bumped the full length of its ride under the van.  The three of us pulled off on a side road to inspect our vehicles.  The first car was the only one with serious damage.  I looked under our van with my flashlight and all I could see was skin and flesh and hair smeared and hanging everywhere.  The meat hanging from the exhaust was starting to cook.

We went through the automatic car wash on our way home, but it didn't remove much.  So, at 9:30 this evening I was outside power washing the bottom of the van so that it won't smell like a rendering truck in the church parking lot tomorrow.  Gus kept circling the van and sniffing, not sure what to make of it, but no doubt wondering if he had missed a meal.

I will have to do a better inspection in the daylight to make sure there was no damage, but am thankful that we weren't the first to hit it.

And whosoever beareth ought of the carcase of them shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until the even.
Leviticus 11:25

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home