How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, September 28, 2014

New

We spent a blessed weekend in Gridley.  Saturday evening we heard the testimonies of five young converts who became convicted by sin, and through faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ repented and were converted and now stand at peace with God and man.  Today we enjoyed worship, fellowship, and their baptisms.  We were thankful to be there for nephew Jesse.

Harvest is in full swing.  Two weeks ago the corn was still a little wet and the beans not ready yet, so we just opened up some fields and made sure everything was ready.  Last week was a beautiful drying week, so we took out a lot of corn, then switched to beans on Friday.  This coming week looks to be another good week for harvest.

In anticipation of a bountiful harvest, we traded auger wagons for a newer and bigger one.  The new one (to us) holds a a full semi-trailer load (1000 bu.) at a time.  I'm worried about the compaction that that much weight can cause in the fields, but hopefully it will help speed up harvest.


I have been searching for a new chest of drawers to keep my work clothes in down in the basement.  Actually, I have looked for a used one but haven't had any luck finding one that was in good condition and the size I needed with big sturdy drawers that open and close smoothly.  I did find some quality new ones, but was unwilling to pay five to seven hundred dollars for a dresser that will sit in the corner of a farmhouse basement.  Finally my wife found one in a second hand/antique shop on the square in Washington.  The price was acceptable, so on a rainy afternoon we picked it up and it has replaced my old one.  It looks a little too fancy to store work clothes in a basement corner, but it hasn't complained so far.  We did a little cleaning and sorting and pitching, so my corner is a little more organized now.


Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.
Isaiah 42:9

1 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Whoa! I can see the wall! And the floor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home