How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Friday, November 07, 2014

Squirrels

We have squirrels in the yard again.
It might have something to do with the fact that we have numerous walnut trees, two oak trees that drop acorns, two English walnut trees, two pecan trees, and an almond tree.
We are far from any timber, but they seem to find us anyway.  Gus likes to chase squirrels.  He likes to own the squirrels.  He will tree a squirrel and then bark for me to come with my gun and will stand guard as long as he can.  Sometimes, by the time he gets our attention the elusive rodent will have found a hole to hide out in, or will use the interlocking tree highway to disappear.  A couple of weeks ago he treed one and I got there in time with gun in hand.  One clean shot took care of it, but unfortunately for Gus it didn't fall to the ground.  It died high up in the crotch of the tree.  Gus was disappointed and kept vigilance for hours waiting for something to happen.  It is still in the tree and it's tail waves in the breeze like a flag on a flagpole.

This week he again treed one and sounded the alarm.  I saw which tree it was in and retrieved my gun.  When I returned it was nowhere to be seen, but Gus was sure that it was still in the leafless tree.  I spotted a hole in the tree where a large branch had broken off and the wood had rotted and I assumed he was hiding in it.  I set up a ladder and got a garden hose and stuck the end in the hole.  When my wife turned on the hydrant, that squirrel popped right up out of the hole too quick for me to do anything.  It moved from tree to tree and disappeared at the top of an evergreen tree either in a nest or in a cluster of tight boughs.
We couldn't scare him out our get him to move, so once again Gus was disappointed.
He must think that I am an incompetent provider.

And Saul cast the javelin; for he said, I will smite David even to the wall with it. And David avoided out of his presence twice.
I Samuel 18:11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home