How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, November 10, 2014

Changing Seasons

With harvest over and good progress on tillage and manure hauling, the weather reports don't surprise me.  It appears that our fall weather is going to shortly change to winter weather.
One season closing and another beginning.

I didn't pay much attention to the Baseball World Series this year (or most years), but the day after the last game I was listening to the radio while harvesting and the DJ read an essay that intrigued me.  It was titled "The Green Fields of the Mind" and was written back in the '70's by Bart Giamotti, a former commissioner of baseball.  After I got home, I looked it up online and reread it (read it here).  It was an interesting take on the game of baseball, but I noticed many spiritual connotations and parallels with the seasons of life and life in general.  I think it reveals to us the difference between the physical life and the spiritual life.  Most importantly, it reveals that everything in this life changes, and nothing lasts forever. But as a Christian, I know we can have everlasting life.  We can have peace of heart and mind, and inner joy that transcends the changes and seasons of life.
 
And I think of all the people that have yet to come to the realization that it is not in the things of this life that this eternal life is found.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home