How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Graduation Revisited

Its another rainy day.
We haven't been in the field since Monday.  We were hoping that by today we could get another field planted, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.  Cool and damp.

As I reflect on having all four of our children attend and graduate from the University of Illinois, it does give me a little feeling of pride (if that is permissible).  Mostly though, I am grateful.
I am grateful that they were able to maintain their faith while getting a secular education at a secular institution.  I enjoyed watching the spiritual growth despite the worldly, hedonistic atmosphere around them.

I am thankful that they all were able to live in Christian "houses" with Christian roommates.  I enjoyed getting to know some of their roommates and their families.  I believe lifelong friendships were made.

I am especially thankful for the role that the Champaign Apostolic Christian Church played in supporting the students.  The support, fellowship, integration, involvement, and mutual activities were a blessing for the students and for us parents.  This student/church relationship gave us a much higher level of confidence in the overall experience.

When I attended U. of I., I was unconverted.  My parents would call me at 8:00 on Sunday mornings to get me up and encourage me to go to church.  I usually went, especially if I could get someone to go with me!  I appreciated the church even then (when it was still in a house in Urbana).

I am also thankful that my kids were able to earn a quality education without much financial or intellectual support from me.  Hats off to all of you!

I love visiting the campus, the historic buildings, seeing the old haunts, walking from one end to the other, and seeing the many changes that have taken place over the years.  Maybe someday I will be visiting there to see the grandchildren!



As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom:
Daniel 1:17


1 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a "like"?
I pray that Ned can enjoy the church and grow as he continues his education there too. I am thankful that Michelle will be there next year (it looks like:) and that he will be near family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home