How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, March 25, 2013

Poetry

At the 100 year Farm Bureau banquet, one of the former presidents recited the following poem.  I requested a copy, and he graciously sent me one.  He said his Grandfather used to recite it to him when he was growing up.  I'll contribute this as a "random act of poetry". 

Ready for a Full Day's Work

'Twas down on the farm about half past four,
I slipped on my pants and I sneaked out the door.
Out across the yard I run like the dickens,
To milk 10 cows and feed all the chickens.
Clean out the barn and curry Nance and Jigs,
Separate the cream and slop all the pigs.
Well I work two hours and then eat like a Turk,
And by Heck I'm Ready for a full day's work.

I grease up the wagon and throw on the rake,
I throw a jug of water in the old grain sack.
Hitch up the horses and hurry down the lane.
I gotta get the hay in 'cause it looks like rain.
Well look over yonder, sure as I'm born,
The cattle's on a rampage, cows are in the corn.
Out across the meader I run a mile or two,
Heavin' like I'm wind broke, get wet clean through.
Back to the horses, and now for recompense,
Nance got a-straddle of the barbwire fence.
Joints are all a-achin' and muscles in a jerk,
But I'm as fit as a fiddle for a full day's work.

Well I worked all summer till winter is nigh,
Figured up the books and heaved a big sigh.
Worked all year and didn't make a thing.
Got less cash now than I had last spring.
Now some people say there isn't any hell,
But they've never farmed, so how can they tell?
But when spring rolls around, I'll take another chance,
While the fringes grow longer on my old gray pants.
Give my 'spenders a hitch and my belt another jerk,
And by heck I'm ready for a full year's work.

Author Unknown

Let there more work be laid upon the men, that they may labour therein; and let them not regard vain words.
Exodus 5:9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home