How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Useless Facts

I received a promotional calender in the mail last week that had a lot of farm facts on it.  I will share some of these useless facts along with a few of my own.  They deal with an "average" farmer.  I am not sure what they consider an average farmer to be, or if I would be considered above average or below average!  All I know for sure is that I am often found outstanding in my field!

The average farmer drives 1650 miles in the field each year.

  We just installed over 11 miles of tile in one of our fields this fall.

The average farmer checks commodity prices 11 times per week.

  I check them a half a dozen times per day, which puts me up around 30 times a week.

The average farmer does 22 oil changes every year.

The average farmer grows twice as much food as their parents did.

  Today's American farmer feeds about 155 people worldwide.

The average farmer cleans a tractor 2860 times in a lifetime.

  But his wife takes the car through the car wash.

The average farmer drinks 78.5 gallons of coffee each season.

  Not me, I only drink one to two cups per week.

The average farmer plants 21,600 pounds of seed each season.

  I figure we plant over 22 million individual corn kernels, and over 82 million soybeans each year.

The average farmer eats 20 meals in the tractor cab during planting.

  Not me, I eat in the van with my wife.

The average farmer owns 27 pickup trucks in a lifetime.

  Since this old farmer is only on his second pickup, I am going to have to live another 425 or so years to get my 27 trucks in.

The average farmer spent $365,000 on equipment over the past five years.

  We spend almost as much time with our banker as we do with family!

The average farmer goes through 500 gallons of diesel fuel while planting.

  Add to that several thousand more gallons for spraying, harvesting, hauling, and tillage.  At a price that hovered around $4 all year.

We grind/mix and deliver over 2000 tons of feed for hogs each year.

We hauled/spread 853,717 gallons of liquid manure and over 150 tons of solid manure on our fields last year.

We trucked 7,515,200 pounds of grain from field to storage last year (even though we had a drouth).


It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Luke 14:35



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home