How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Rain and Books

Our fiscal year ended on September 30.  Since we have had a couple of weeks of rainy weather, I have been doing bookwork to close the year.  I remember again why I am not an accountant.  This year we are using a new computer program for our recordkeeping, so that has made some of the work easier.  But it has made some of the work more complicated also.  I do think I have everything pretty well wrapped up now.  Unless the FBFM field man or our accountant have questions.

October mushroom

When daughter #1 was here this past week to get the rest of her stuff out of our attic, it motivated me to go through the old books I have up there and our other bookshelves to see if I could weed out any books.  It has been painful, but so far I have 136 books boxed up and ready for Goodwill.  Unfortunately (actually not), that is just a small fraction of the total books still in the house.  Even after our two oldest left the house and moved their books out, we probably still have a couple thousand left!

No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Far more seemly were it for thee to have thy study full of books, than thy purse full of money. ~John Lyly

No person who can read is ever successful at cleaning out an attic. ~Ann Landers

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~Anna Quindlen

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
John 21:25

2 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, I rarely get to allow myself the leisure of reading although occassionally I indulge:) Once I start a good book I have trouble disciplining myself to quit. So I can read through making dinner and night! It is a luxury that I cannot often allow:) So I read far less than I would like. I can only deduct that you have a wife that does an awful lot for you!:)

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Old Farmer said...

Yes, she does . . . but she reads more than I do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home