How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Singing

Last evening a carload of us drove to Fairbury for a singing at the church Fellowship Hall.  A group from there invited 5 couples from each of the Illinois churches (and some from out of state) for a night of singing and fellowship prior to Thanksgiving.  It was good to meet some new people and renew some old friendships.  As we began singing, I started thinking what a blessing our church has been to me and my family.  The fellowship was sweet.  The bonds of Christian love were evident.  The singing was beautiful and spirited.  I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit in our fellowship and praise. 

I had sat down by a Brother from a neighboring church that has been in turmoil recently.  Without knowing the thoughts going through my mind, about the third or fourth song in, he turned to me and said, "This reaffirms my convictions; I have the right faith and am in the right fellowship."

There has never been a perfect church or church leader.  There will always be problems somewhere.  But nobody will convince me that what I have and enjoy in our denomination is not a blessing from God.  And despite imperfections (real or perceived), God is working in and through us.

I was inspired.  I am thankful.

My third grade Sunday School teacher died a week or so ago.  I thought she was old when I had her for a teacher!  That was about 48 years ago.  One of the few things that I remember about the class is that she made us memorize a portion of Psalm 100, a psalm of thanksgiving.


Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home