How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Rest

I am very thankful for a day of rest, and for the very productive week that we were finally able to enjoy. The fields were still muddy, but the weather was cooperative, so we were able to harvest soybeans all week.
I made more ruts in fields this week than I have in all the years I have farmed combined. Numerous times I thought I was stuck for good, but managed to spin and power my way though the soft spots. And I guess the $5000 we spent on new drive tires was worth it! At times I felt like I was steering more with my brakes than with the steering wheel! Late one night I drove the combine into standing water and filled the head with water like a giant scoop. It made quite a mess, but fortunately did no damage to anything.

Out of curiosity I kept track of the number of hours I worked this past week.
93! And I don't get overtime.

I took a nap this afternoon and am looking forward to another productive week.

The sleep of a labouring man is sweet, whether he eat little or much: but the abundance of the rich will not suffer him to sleep.
Ecclesiastes 5:12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home