How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, August 31, 2009

Book

I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society last night. It's not the type of book I generally read, but I enjoyed it, and I would go so far as to call it delightful. It is part travelogue (Guernsey,Channel Islands), some history (WWII, post WWII), some humor, some suspense, and a little romance (will it be Sidney, Markham, or Dawsey?).
I would recommend it.

An exerpt:
Over supper, we discussed Jonathan Swift, pigs, and the trials in Nuremberg. Doesn't that reveal a breathtaking range of interests? I think it does. We talked easily enough, but neither of us ate much - even though he made a delicious sorrel soup (much better that I could). After coffee, we strolled down to his barn for a pig viewing. Grown pigs don't improve upon acquaintance, but piglets are a different matter - - Dawsey's are spotted and frisky and sly. . . .
Dawsey's barn is exceedingly clean. He also stacks his hay beautifully.
I believe I am becoming pathetic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home