How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mt. Pisgah

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
May I thy consolation share,
Till, from Mount Pisgah’s lofty height,
I view my home and take my flight.
This robe of flesh I’ll drop, and rise
To seize the everlasting prize,
And shout, while passing through the air,
“Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!”

Our family hiked to the top of Mt. Pisgah (Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina) last week. Since then these lyrics have been running thru my head. We lost two loved ones from our church congregation in the past few months, and two more are on their deathbeds. What a consolation and inspiration it is to know of the hope and promise they have awaiting them as they take their flight!

Standing on a mountain top always impresses me as I view the vast expanse of God's creation. And I know our eternal home will be far greater than what we enjoy here on earth.
Physically, I believe that being on a mountain top is as close as a person can get to God while here on this earth. Maybe I can understand the reason the people wanted to build the tower of Babel! Thankfully, as Christians we can have God within us and surrounding us! It doesn't get any better than that. The hour of prayer is indeed sweet.

My prayers are with all families who have lost or are losing a loved one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home