How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Storm

We finished side-dressing Nitrogen on Monday afternoon. One more job checked off the list. Now we are doing catch up hog work. We cleaned out one of our hoop buildings, getting it ready for the next group of pigs to be moved in. This afternoon I found a young skunk wandering around in it. I was going to try to pick it up by its tail, but I was afraid that if it had rabies it might try to bite me. So I scooped it up in a grain scoop and was carrying it around not sure what to do with it. I decided to just dispatch it with a hard blow to the head. As it was dying, it sprayed! I didn't know young skunks could do that! Fortunately I was not in the line of fire. It sure stunk up the area. I don't know why it didn't try to spray me while I was carrying it around, but I'm glad it didn't.

Last night we had a strobe-light lightning and thunderstorm followed by a lot of strong wind. I stayed in bed for most of the thunder and lightning, but as the wind picked up, I went looking for our weather radio. I couldn't find it so I went back to bed. Since I couldn't sleep anymore, I got up and went looking for it again, which I still couldn't find. By then the worst of the storm had passed so I figured it didn't matter anymore and lay down again until the alarm went off. The old farmers lovely wife slept soundly thru the whole storm! We had some branches down in the yard, and one of our trees along the road had twisted off and was completely across, stopping traffic from both directions. The township road commissioner came out and pushed it off the road for us. Lots of firewood available!


But as they sailed he fell asleep: and there came down a storm of wind on the lake; and they were filled with water, and were in jeopardy.
And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm.

Luke 8:23,24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home