How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

New Experience

Today was Paul's funeral. It was an interesting and new experience for us. It was a full Catholic Funeral Mass. I wasn't used to all the rituals, symbolism, ceremonial objects, responsorials, up and down, and the Eucharist. I hope I didn't look like an old farmer his first time in the big city. Because he was a fire chief for two different departments in his life, he received a fireman's farewell. There were about 20+ different fire departments represented by about fifty firemen in dress uniforms. Each department brought a fire engine for the funeral procession to the cemetery. At the end of the ceremony the firemen performed the "Fireman's Final Bell"-three tolls, three times, symbolizing calling a fireman home after his final service. Paul's favorite version of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" was the version played by his daughter's Junior High Band in 1983. A recording was played as the recessional hymn. It was touching, but it sounded like a Junior High band from 1983. The line of 20+ fire engines led the funeral procession past the firehouse on the way to the cemetery. Out front of the firehouse were two aerial trucks forming an arch with their ladders for the procession to drive through. At the cemetery eight fireman placed the flag draped coffin above the grave while the rest lined the path in salute. Because he was a veteran, the military performed the removal and ceremonial folding of the flag and presented it to his wife. This was followed by a twenty-one gun salute and the playing of taps. Because of the unique situation, I took a camera with me. I tried to be discreet about taking pictures, but noticed that I was not the only one doing it. My daughter had my good camera, so the pictures are poor quality.
The after-funeral meal was typical and good, and we got to meet some of Paul's family and friends.








Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day when he went down to the grave I caused a mourning: I covered the deep for him, and I restrained the floods thereof, and the great waters were stayed: and I caused Lebanon to mourn for him, and all the trees of the field fainted for him.
Ezekiel 31:15


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home