How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Illinois Politics

I get the opportunity to talk to business people from other states from time to time. Lately, when they find out that I'm from Illinios, the topic often turns to our former governor.
I ran across this interesting article the other day in a farm paper. I think it does a pretty good job of describing how Illinois government works.

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the Governor’s Mansion in Springfield, Illinois; one from Chicago, another from Tennessee, and a third from Kentucky. They all go to examine the fence.
The Tennessee contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil. “Well”, he says, “I figure the job will run about $900: $400 for materials, $400 for my crew and $100 profit for me.”
The Kentucky contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, “I can do this job for $700: $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100 profit for me.”
The Chicago contractor doesn’t measure or figure, but leans over to the Democrat Governor’s staffer and whispers, “$2,700.” Incredulous, the staffer whispers back, “You didn’t even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with such a high figure?”
The Chicago contractor whispers back, “$1,000 for me, $1000 for you, and we hire that guy from Kentucky to fix the fence.”
“Done Deal!” he replies.
And that, my friends, is how it all works in Illinois politics!

Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.
Isaiah 56:11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home