How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Friday, January 30, 2009

"Mighty Fine"

Ted Schick, my double second cousin, my Brother in Christ, and my friend passed peacefully into eternity early this morning.

I have always hoped that I will hear something similar to the following when I meet my Savior someday.

His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. (Matthew 25:21)

But I can't help but wonder when Ted met Christ, if he didn't hear a "Mighty Fine"!
And I wonder if Ted turned to the Heavenly Choir and asked them to sing verses 7 & 8 yet!

Some thoughts and memories:
I remember the games we played at the two monthly potlucks our families were in together. And some of the trouble we got into. His short wrestling career. Morton Sunday School. Falling over the second floor stair railing in the middle of the night. The Sunday afternoon accident that changed his (and our) life forever. Months in a coma. Groups of friends and relatives "patterning" Ted on the big table in the Schick's basement. Young group activities and trips. His stubborn determination to be independent helped him lead a relatively normal life despite his handicap. At times he frustrated us, but mostly he inspired us. The time he tried to cross the Boy Scout rope bridge over a river (despite our protests) just to prove he could. Bringing strangers to church. His Poems. Shaving in the church bathroom because he was running late at home. His fervent prayers. Being able to consume huge amounts of food apparently without getting full or gaining weight. When he would charge across the fellowship area, his mind walking faster than his legs. Seemingly, everyone everywhere knew him. His steadfast faith, despite his trials, that not only carried him to the end, but moved the rest of us along the way.

I can almost imagine Ted with his unblemished, glorified body.

And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
Acts 3:8

1 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just figured out to punch 0 comments to leave comments. I think last time I tried the below info wouldn't let me so . . .
My eyes got teary the last two posts. I am happy to share your thoughts and thankful to God for His mercy and goodness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home