How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, January 26, 2009

Change

I hope the price of corn, soybeans, and hogs goes up soon . . .
I now have a wedding to pay for!
My eldest daughter announced her engagement on Sunday.

Twenty-four years ago I cradled a cute little baby girl in my arms, not knowing the blessings that were ahead. I prayed for her, changed diapers, rocked her, walked her, cleaned up vomit, sang to her, watched her get on the big yellow school bus, marveled at the straight A report cards, endured and paid for a broken arm and braces, spent many hours on hard bleachers at choral and band concerts, beamed at her Valedictorian speech, was humbled by her repentance and conversion, was impressed by her steadfastness in the face of college peer pressure, was unable to help her attain her chemistry degree (academically or financially), helped her pick out her dream car, pulled her out of snowbanks, and teased her about her government job. I have a lot invested in her - including a large part of my heart.

And now a smart, good looking young gentleman (who she likes very much) is going to take the old farmer's daughter away.
Thankfully, not very far away.
We tried to raise her to be a mature, productive, Christian adult. And with a lot of help and support from God and many others (and an easy subject), we have succeeded. It is time for her to leave Father and Mother . . .

Congratulations and God Bless you, Jenny and Bob!

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Genesis 2:24

5 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

aww... Thanks Dad! I love you!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

It's true...you have a very amazing daughter!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Old Farmer said...

In case you couldn't read between the lines . . . I love you too!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Wendi said...

That is so sweet.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it's humbling to think that I get to follow in your footsteps as main man in Jenny's life. It's obvious that you set the bar pretty high concerning sacrificial love. Thanks so much for all you and Cathy have done make Jenny a wonderful, godly woman. I truly feel blessed! I love you guys.
-Bob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home