How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Vicki

When I joined the church young group during my repentance and conversion, one of the greatest assets were the "older" single Sisters in the group. They were the foundation and pillars of the young group. Looking back, they weren't really very old - they were just older than me. Since the young group was 1/3 of the church at the time, these Sisters were also great assets (and still are) to the church as a whole. They were good examples and mentors, and they lent stability, experience and wisdom to the group. About eight or nine names come to my mind. I still appreciate the important roll these faithful Sisters played in my life.

Vicki was one of those Sisters. I actually met Vicki first when she helped organize get-togethers for all singles (friends and members) that lived in the Washington area even before there was a church. Vicki was fun, had a great sense of humor, a great cook, very hospitable, an organizer, and content in her singleness. We enjoyed many young group trips together. She was unpretentious, a person you felt very comfortable with. She was a Martha and Mary combined. A mother hen, she took many under her wing.
A highlight of each year was caroling for her VNA patients each December, then going back to her house for a big meal.
I haven't spent much time with her over the last twenty-five years, but I still have a great respect for her.

Today, I was asked to sing for her funeral. An Honor.

I know heaven will be a beautiful place, but it can't help but be a little more beautiful now that Vicki is there.

But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:
But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

I Corinthians 7:32-34

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home