How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, January 05, 2008

New Year

We had a beautiful snow on New Year's eve to start the new year. After Church services, we returned home and had guests in for the evening and enjoyed good food and fellowship. They stayed until 1:00 - pretty late for us old folks!

Winter made its presence felt midweek when the temperature dropped to 0 degrees two nights in a row. Our feed mill decided to quit working on one of the coldest days (of course), so it was a challenge working on it. Not as big of a challenge as the serviceman from Sauder Well Drillers had who was fixing a leaking underground water pipe for our neighbor across the road. He cut thru an underground electric line with his backhoe while trying to find the water leak, so he had an extra repair job to do. We got our mill running again without really knowing what was wrong with it.

On Wednesday we met with one of our landlords that we have been farming for as long as I can remember. We've always had a good relationship with him, but this year he was very upset with us over a cash rent proposal I sent him in November. His reaction caught me totally off guard. I think we got things worked out, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth and some questions about the future.

Friday night, Son II and I went to the big city to spend some of our gift card money. Gander Mountain, Best Buy, and Barnes and Noble; need I say more?

By today, the temperature had climbed to a balmy 50 degrees and the snow and ice is melting fast.

So starts 2008.

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. Revelation 21:5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home