How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Well, again

Yesterday, shortly before lunch, our telephones quit working. It is not uncommon for us to lose service or at least get lots of static during wet soggy weather. I spent the afternoon at a Pesticide Applicator Training School (we need to be licensed by the state to buy and use restricted use herbicides and insecticides). On my way home, I received the message that we had no water on the farm. This is not good news to hear on Christmas weekend. In May 2006 we had a new pump installed, and this summer a new computerized controller was installed. When I got home I started doing diagnostics and determined that the new controller was malfunctioning. I had been communicating with the repairman and he was searching for a new controller. At 8:00 PM he called me to say he couldn't get one until 9:00 in the morning. Fortunately, the weather is cool which makes the situation less critical for the hogs. But, I didn't want them to go all night without water. I direct wired the pump motor and operated the pump manually - which meant we had water, but no way to regulate pressure. So, I sat in the pump house doorway for a half hour watching the pressure gauge and opening and closing the nearby hydrant to keep the pressure from getting too high and damaging the system. I shut it down for the night, meaning no showers or toilet flushing. In the morning, I took my place on a bale of straw in front of the pump house and babysat the pump for over an hour so all the hogs could get a morning drink. My wife was kind enough to bring me a mug of hot chocolate while I stared at the pressure gauge. I'm sure that people driving by and seeing me sitting there must have wondered if I had lost it! At 10 the repairman showed up and by 11:30 the controller was installed and the water system was operating automatically. We breathed a thankful sigh of relief. At about 2:00 the telephones were working again. We are back in the modern world!

And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home