How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Wagon

 The oldest farmer and my mother lived on a rental farm when they were first married.  The landlord built a new house for them that was finished shortly after the wedding.  They lived there until 1960 (ten years) when the landlord kicked them off of the farm.  Mrs. Hooten told dad that the reason was because he had too many sows on the farm.  I think he had 10 or 11, while she only allowed him half that.  Mom thinks it was because by then they had four kids and she was worried that that many kids would destroy her house.  Whatever the reason, my grandparents moved to a farm near Deer Creek so that my parents could move to the home place.  Grandpa farmed a couple more years until he retired and had an auction.

The Rokey family moved up to the Goodfield area from Sabetha Kansas in '60 or '61 and old John Rokey attended my grandpa's farm auction in January of '62.  He bought one of grandpa's flare box wagons.

John (the 2nd) owns a bucket truck that I have the privilege to rent when I need to get high, safely, and before harvest I used it for a day.  We had been visiting earlier and he told me he still had my grandpa's wagon in an old barn, and asked me if I was interested in it.  He pulled it out for me to see and I jumped at the chance to buy it.  He was even very generous with the price, especially since it had sentimental value to me.

After being gone sixty years, the old wagon has come back home!



I am not exactly sure what I am going to do with it after I clean it up.  I was a little worried what the old farmers wife would think of my purchase, but she actually liked it, and was thinking of ways she could use it as a decoration on the farm.  I think it will look good behind her dad's John Deere 60 that we own.

Now thou art commanded, this do ye; take you wagons out of the land of Egypt for your little ones, and for your wives, and bring your father, and come.

Genesis 45:19




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home