How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dog Days

Its hot and humid here in central Illinois. Very hot and very humid. I seem to spend most of my time in wet clothes. We are upgrading our grain handling set-up and this week the bin erection crew were here building the new bin. Working on and inside of a metal grain bin has to be one of the hottest jobs to do in the summer. But they were all young guys on the crew, so they seemed to take the heat in stride. I seem to loose my desire to work by the middle of the afternoon. The hogs don't eat much in this weather. They just lie around panting. Ground feed starts setting up in the bulk tanks. The weeds grow, but the lawn and the crops dry up. Our road is a melted tar mess (although it's not hot enough to fry an egg on--daughter #2 tried it). The air conditioning in the cars and the house strain to keep up.
The dog days of August.


My skin is black upon me, and my bones are burned with heat.
Job 30:30

1 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Karen K. said...

Our boys tried it once too:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home