How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Work

Hot, humid, sweaty, and dirty pretty much describes my last 3 weeks. After the BWCA, we had much work to do before we could leave for our family vacation. Throw in the occational rain shower and I spend most of my days wet. My daughter and wife usually are quick to let me know how bad I smell. Hog manure + wet feed + sweaty body = some rather interesting odors. I was again helping daughter #2 build character - I had her walking beans and helping chase hogs.
The high humidity of summer always gives us problems grinding and mixing feed. Soybean meal doesn't flow well in humidity. Feed premix contains salt, which tends to draw moisture to it. This then gums up our mixer and augers. So we end up spending a lot of time babysitting our feed mill. This past week we had to grind and mix two weeks worth of feed in one week in preparation for vacation. I was in the corn crib (where the mill is) by 6 most mornings to get a batch started, and often was out there at 11 at night keeping the mill going.
The last 3 weeks I averaged 11 to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. I would even go back out after Wednesday evening services to start the grinder. By Saturday at 2:30, we were caught up and I hit the shower and we were off for vacation. I'm afraid I'll spend my first few days just recuperating (also known as being very lazy).

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home