How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Straw

Friday afternoon and Saturday we baled over 2500 bales of straw. It's always some of the hottest days of the summer when baling time rolls around. I seem to always end up in the haymow, making sure the help does the stacking job correctly. The hay mow is the hottest, dustiest place to work with very little air movement. It wasn't good for my lungs or my contacts. It seems like you can consume your weight in water, and sweat it out as fast as you intake it. I can still out work most the young guys we hire to help, but I sure felt my age Saturday evening when we were done. Uncle Roy ran the baler Friday, and cousin Dale ran it Saturday. They pull their baler with a cherry LP gas JD 3020.

Bob and Jenny got in the act also. Bob worked on the rack a while, and Grandpa taught Jenny how to drive the JD 60, pulling the racks in from the field.

The haymow where I worked with 2-4 youngsters.


Go ye, get you straw where ye can find it: yet not ought of your work shall be diminished.
Exodus 5:11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home