How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Friday, May 28, 2010

Buckle Up

We haven't been in the field for a couple of weeks and we still have soybeans to plant. Tuesday we got 2.4 inches of rain at home, so it will be a few more days before we can finish here. This afternoon though, we were able to finish a field south of Eureka that we had started before all the rain. On my last round, as I was heading front towards the road, I ran out of soybeans. I got out of the cab to check the boxes, then got back in to drive front to get more beans. As I started front I noticed a car out in our field. The closer I got I could see that it had rolled a couple of times and there were car parts strewn around. At first I thought it was Miss Syndram's little red sports car, and I was worried. Her family lives next to our field. Then I saw a young man milling around talking on his cell phone. "Good, I thought, he had his seat belt on and he didn't get hurt." But then I realized by his shirt that he was an employee from the business across the road, and there was a body on the ground. The young man driving the little red sports car did not have his seat belt on and he was thrown from the car (and out of his shoes).I ran up to the body and tried to assess his condition and keep him from moving. I was handed the cell phone and gave information about location and condition to the dispatcher. It wasn't another two minutes and sirens were coming down the road. The EMT's and police took over while we started picking up car parts. After the ambulance, police, and tow truck were all gone, I was able to finish the last round and head back home. I hope the young man doesn't have any serious injuries.

Fasten your seatbelts!

Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.
Proverbs 27:1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home