How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, January 09, 2023

Devotionals

 After I became converted, I borrowed a daily devotional book from my Mother and read it daily for the next year.  It happened to be Come Ye Apart, by J.R. Miller.  I really appreciated the verse and short teaching that a daily devotional provided.  I didn't consistently read a daily devotional in the early years, but for the last twenty years or so I have read one daily every year.  The last ten years or so, I have done two each morning.  One is usually a "heavier" one and then a "lighter" one.  Some of the authors include Oswald Chambers, A.W. Tozier, Leo Tolstoy, Charles Spurgeon, or Billy Graham.  Several I have gone through more than once.  This is of course in addition to daily Bible reading.  When we were raising our children, I usually read the Bible twice a day plus Bible stories.  

I bring up this topic because with the beginning of the New Year, I had to again pick which devotionals to read this year.  One of my favorites, which I have read several times is Honey from the Hive, by Joseph Stoll.  He is an Amish preacher from Canada and I really appreciate his practical, down to earth, conservative Anabaptist teachings.  So I have decided it will be one of my choices again this year.  I am always on the lookout for others, so if anyone has one to recommend, let me know. 

    Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.      Isaiah 58:2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home