How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, December 01, 2022

Thanksgiving Weekend

Three of our kids were with us for Thanksgiving at Paul and Jean's on Thanksgiving Day.  We had good food and fellowship and many reasons to be thankful.  Our Iowa kids spent Thursday night with us.  Late Friday morning we headed to Indiana to spend time with Nathan & Michelle & kids.  They were on duty, so they were staying on campus.  We took the older two kids with us and stayed in their Grabill house for the weekend.  We visited my sister at the big house Saturday afternoon and then took our kids, grandkids, and the house residents out for supper Saturday evening. I think they all enjoyed it.  We headed for home Sunday afternoon.

Playing games together at Pine house.


Tuesday, Brother, nephew, and I went to the Peoria Farm Show.  We were babysitting two of our grandsons, so I decided to be brave and take them with us.  They got a little tired with all the walking, and it got a little long for them, but they did good and I think they enjoyed it. And they got to bring home some farm swag.


 

Last week our clothes dryer died.  It's a Maytag that is probably 30+ years old.  It needs a new motor, which is expensive, and with two service calls the cost to fix it would be $450.  We decided to buy a new dryer rather than wait for parts.  I looked online last night and bought the dryer the serviceman recommended, which was on sale locally for $500.  I picked it up and installed it this afternoon, and we are back in the laundry business.  I took the old Maytag out to the shop, and I think I will order the motor online (for $150) and attempt to replace it myself this winter.  Then it can join the wash machine already out there.

I was able to shoot a nice buck on opening morning of deer season, and this morning Son#1 shot a nice doe, so we have meat for the winter.  Son#2 in Iowa already has a large buck with a bow, and gun season is still to come.  I attended a Zoom farm meeting today, and this evening we started looking at Christmas lists.  Its probably about time to start shopping.

     Nevertheless he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness.                                            Acts 14:17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home