How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, May 09, 2022

April

 So April came and went!  It was a cool, wet month overall.  I had planned to plant soybeans in the April 10 - 20 time frame if conditions allowed, and then plant corn in the April 20 - 30 time frame.  When it got to be the 23rd and I still was not able to get in the field, I decided I would plant all my corn first, and worry about beans later.  As a hog farmer, I wanted some corn in the ground.  I finally was able to start planting corn on the 26th (Tuesday), and was finished by the end of the week.  On Monday the 2nd of May, I was able to get my first two fields of soybeans planted.  The rains came in Monday night and additional rains later in the week, so that was it for fieldwork for the week.

Early in April, my feed mill motor started making a noise that didn't sound good.  I was able to grind enough feed to last 3 or 4 days, then I pulled the motor and took it to the motor shop.  I gave them the deadline that I needed it back, but fully expected them to tell me it wasn't worth fixing and that I would need to order a new one.  This motor is a specialty motor so I knew it would't be in stock and with the supply chain issues I was expecting the worst.  Imagine my surprise when a day and a half later they call me and say the motor is repaired and could be picked up!  I had it back home and reinstalled two days before my deadline!  

Palm Sunday weekend we enjoyed communion at church.  But, I really don't think drinking a sip of wine out of thimbles is what Christ had in mind when he passed the cup with his disciples.  We were also able to attend two Easter Programs on Palm Sunday (afternoon and evening) that our grandchildren were in. 

Elliot and Pam hosted their annual Messianic Passover Seder and we were blessed to be invited this year.  It was very interesting learning about the Jewish meanings behind all the activities and how the Passover prepared for the coming of the Messiah.  We left educated, inspired, and full of good food.


Years ago I planted an almond tree that was supposed to be able to grow in our climate. In the past couple of years, I noticed a couple of small almonds growing on it.  This spring it was in full bloom, so I am expecting to get some nuts off of it this year.  Unless the squirrels show up and steal them before they are ripe.  This is a poor picture because of the cloudy weather we were having.



After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.                           I Corinthians 11:25



 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home