How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, December 29, 2022

Christmas 22

Our big family Christmas was a week early at the Morton Fellowship Hall.  We had a very good turnout, and it was a day filled with food, fun, fellowship, and gifts.  It's an all day affair, but I always slip out mid-afternoon and go home and do chores.  I realized that I have been leaving family Christmas for chores every year since 1982 when the oldest farmer moved to town.  Maybe this will be the last year?

The annual Grand and Great Grandchildren photo.


   We learned that morning that my cousin Jay had passed away the previous day.  He was a half year older than I am.  He had had knee surgery a few weeks ago and a large blood clot broke loose from his leg and lodged in his lung.  Despite living about 500 miles apart, I feel like we grew up together.  We would get together 3 or 4 weekends a year and spend the full three days together.  Jay was a town kid and I was a country boy, so I learned a lot about life from him.  Some good and some things not so good; I didn't grow up naive!  Jay went through some struggles and dark times early in his life, but was able to turn his life around and became a successful man of faith.  He lost his only son 5 years ago, and now he leaves a widow and his daughter.  We will keep them in our prayers.  Because of our immediate family Christmas ( with our kids coming from out of state) I was unable to attend the funeral.  If there would have been a direct flight from Peoria to Minneapolis I would have gone, but that flight has been discontinued.

Our first major winter weather hit the end of last week.  Fortunately, we only had a couple inches of snow.  With the three days of bitter cold and high winds that followed, we would still be digging out if we would have had the predicted amount of snow!  My infrared shop heater quit working in the middle of the cold stretch, but I was able to use a kerosene heater to keep the shop from freezing.  I was able to get parts quickly, and the heater is producing again.  The weather moderated just in time for Christmas.

Our kids and grandkids were all here for the day Monday.  With 12 grandkids age 11 and below, we had a full house and a lot of activity.  As always, there was good food, gifts, and lots of books.

The small end of the room.    



For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.                Isaiah 9:6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home