How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Flowers On The Wall

I finished reading three books between Christmas and New Years.  One, Statler Brothers Random Memories, written by brothers Harold and Don Reid (two of the Statlers) was a gift book I received for Christmas. I think I have been listening to and enjoying the Statlers since I was in Jr. High.  Someone asked me once when I was in my early twenties which style of music was my favorite, and I answered, Statler Brothers style. 
The Statler Brothers were small town Virginia boys who never moved away from their home town, and never lost sight of their roots.  They started out as a southern gospel quartet singing in local churches, and progressed to singing at conventions and contests.  In 1963 Johnny Cash heard them sing, and in 1964 he hired them to be his backup singers.  They continued to sing (and record) independently, but were with Cash for eight plus years.  By the time of their retirement in 2002, they were the most awarded act in county music, receiving over 550 awards in their 40 year career.  They cut 44 albums and had dozens of hit singles, along with their own television show.  Several of the albums were all gospel, and they usually included a gospel song on each of the other albums. 

The last thing they did before going onstage before every concert or performance was to huddle together with their band and say a prayer together.  They also always sang a gospel song at each concert.

Besides a little history, the book explains the story behind their most famous (popular) songs.
They have been called "America's poets".
I enjoyed the nostalgic book, and I still enjoy their four part harmony.

When the unexpected is inevitable, counteract with the obvious.
                                                                                  Harold Reid

I took our old Maytag wash machine (that malfunctioned during harvest) out to the shop, and I had some time to take it apart and work on it.  It cost me $22 to fix it; much less than the repairman's service call to come and tell us that it wasn't worth repairing!  It had a pin hole leak in the tub, and I was able to patch it with JB weld.  The $22 was for a spanner wrench to get the tub out.  Since we purchased a new washer for the house, the old one is now installed in our shop bathroom so that we can wash our dirtiest coveralls out of the house.


But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
Isaiah 64:6

 

1 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy will have to borrow the book! Glad you have time to read--enjoy it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home