How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Fam Vac

We spent a week at Shawnee Bay Resort for the big family vacation.  We've been here before and it works well for our family, except this year some of us had to come Friday to Friday and the rest Saturday to Saturday.  We drove the Patriarch and the Matriarch down with us on Friday and had a smooth trip.
I was skeptical when we brought lawnmowers with us, but as it turned out they were well used and at times we could have used a couple more.


As usual, I spent my time eating, sleeping, reading, and babysitting.  With a heavy emphasis on babysitting.  It was a fun week.  It rained one day, so I found a bookstore and Gander Outdoors in Paducah to kill some time.  We also went to the Hitching Post to purchase a sampling of their exotic and historic soda pop flavors.  I read two books, the first was Tom Zobrist's book, Look What God Can Do, about raising his (Eureka native) son Ben who ended up as World Series MVP with the 2016 Champion Chicago Cubs.  The second book, My Story, is Elizabeth Smart's story of her 2002 kidnapping at the age of 14.  It tells of her nine month imprisonment by a religious fanatic and his wife and the awful treatment she endured.  I was impressed with her courage and faith through the trauma and how she has dealt with it since her rescue.  Both good books.

At the Beach



Following a turtle.




A little quarteting one evening.



Last week we spent catching up back home.  Also, the contractors showed up and repaired our fire damaged hog house.  We are now working on the plumbing and wiring, most of which we will do ourselves.

Yesterday morning as I was sitting at my desk at about 6:15 in the morning, the house shook from an explosion.  I ran outside and looked around and didn't see anything wrong or any smoke in the sky, so I went back to my morning routine.  An hour later my brother texted a picture of our local grain elevator where the explosion had taken place.  There is extensive damage and with harvest only a month away, great concern with what to do to handle a predicted bumper crop.





And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
Luke 12:18



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home